Monday, May 13, 2013

How Many Likes Did You Get?

So the other day I posted something on Facebook.  The next time I logged on (5...10 minutes later), I hadn't gotten any likes!  I thought to myself...okay, it's late, maybe people aren't awake.  Then I remembered it was finals week and I was like wait, no everyone is on Facebook right now.  I quickly found myself going to my profile to delete my "unliked" and just awkward post, but then I stopped.  Was I really about to delete a post because it didn't get any likes!??

I felt ridiculous, but it really got me thinking.  Why do we post things on Facebook?  Or Twitter, or Instagram, or any social media for that matter?  Is it because we genuinely want to share our thoughts and stay connected with our family and friends?  Or do we secretly post these things in hopes that people will "like" or approve of them to provide ourselves with some sense of satisfaction to know that people think we are funny or inspiring?

As a whole, I think social media is a great thing.  I love being able to see pictures and posts from my close family and friends that I can't actually be with in person all the time or even more than once or twice a year.  In that sense, I find it extremely beneficial and connecting.  On the other hand though, there are things that I post that make me think, "What good is this actually doing?"  Or, "Is this post really an accurate portrayal of me?"  I often wonder what someone who didn't know me would think of me if they saw my profile.  Would it be someone I'm proud of?  Would it be who I really am?

90% of the time, on any of the social media I am active on, I am just being ridiculously sarcastic or attempting to be amusing.  Usually when I go back and reread my posts I'm just like that was completely unnecessary, but I do enjoy entertaining people so I'd like to think someone gets a good laugh.  Then other times I will post something more serious or meaningful, and I really do mean them, but I often catch myself thinking, "Am I really living this out?"  In a way, I think what I'm trying to say is that, in order to benefit to our fullest from social media, we need to let it hold us accountable.  Make sure we're not just posting things to see how many likes we get or to show someone how much better our life is than there's.  Instead, I want to try and focus on making sure that if I'm going to post something, then if someone asks me why I said that, I'm going to have a reason, a story, and something I learned from it.  Saying that, the sarcastic and ridiculous posts probably won't stop considering...most of those I pretty much live out.

I think it's good to share.  I think it's great to stay connected.  I think it's good to be proud of our accomplishments.  But let's make sure we can back ourselves up.  Share things that truly inspire you.  Stay connected, not competitive.  And be proud, but remember to stay thankful and humble.  Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are incredibly things that constantly reminds us that we have an amazing network of people who care about us and support us.  Let's not abuse that support and let's remember that that's not our only form of support.

1 Thessalonians 5:11

Side note: the post that received no likes....was set on private....oops :)

No comments:

Post a Comment